Getting Started

Meet with your Academic Advisor

All transfer students accepted into CCAS will have the support of a team of advisors, or an Advising POD, throughout their time at GW, assigned in alphabetical order by the first letter of the student’s last name. Book online to schedule an in-person (in Phillips 107) or phone appointment. 

Send your Transcript

To transfer in academic credit, request an official copy of your academic transcript(s) (with final grades from the most recent semester) from your previous institution(s) to be sent to GW's Registrar's Office, who will then issue a Transfer Credit Worksheet at the time of admission.

Understand G-PAC

General education requirements vary at every university and your level of completion at your former institution does not necessarily reflect your progress on GW’s general education requirements. Familiarize yourself with the University General Education Requirements as well as the college specific requirements – G-PAC, and learn if/how your transfer credit applies in Transfer Credit.

Review University Writing Program Requirements

All undergraduates at GW, including transfer students, are required to develop effective writing skills through 3 writing-intensive courses: UW 1020 and 2 WIDs (Writing in the Discipline).  Each course needs to be completed before the next, in separate semesters.  Some transfer students may be exempt from UW 1020; to see if you are, check with your Advising POD and read the UWP website. If you are not exempt from UW 1020, you should register for UW 1020 your first (or second) semester at GW.  WIDs are delineated with a “W” in the Schedule of Classes. 

Prepare to Register for Classes

To figure out which courses to take this semester, read through the Registering for Classes section of our website.  Other registration resources include: the Schedule of Classes to see what is offered this current semester, The Gweb info system to add/drop courses online: Banweb, and the Registrar’s website for tips and forms.

Review Graduation Requirements

In order to graduate from GW, every CCAS student must: (1) Earn 120 credits (of which 60 must be in-residence, 30 credits must be upper-level, 12 credits must be in the major, and 6 credits in the minor [taken at or through GW]), (2) earn a 2.00 cumulative GPA, (3) complete one major, and (4) complete the General Education Requirements.  Read through the Graduation Requirements section of our website and use DegreeMAP to track your requirements. 

Declaring a Major

Transfer students are recommended to declare their major during their first (or second) semester at GW.  Read through the Declaring a Major section and follow the outlined steps.