Transferring in Credit

Transfer Credit

  • Credits earned by taking classes at other colleges or universities, or through recognized tests such as AP, and accepted for credit by GW are known as transfer credits.
  • Transfer credits include courses taken at other institutions while attending GW (e.g., summer classes) as well as advanced standing credits.
  • The GPA and grades do not transfer; accepted credit will be transferred with a notation of "TR".
  • For students transferring into GW from another university, visit the Transfer Students portion of our site.

Advanced Standing, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate

  • Credits earned at other institutions of higher education, or credit earned by examination (AP, IB) prior to enrollment at GW, is considered Advanced Standing. 
  • Students are responsible for sending transcripts from all previous institutions to the Office of the Registrar and all scores on AP, IB, or A-Level exams to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation.
  • Students should avoid registering for any courses for which they feel confident they will be receiving credit.
  • Undergraduate credit is awarded for scores of at least 4 - 5 on most AP exams. For a complete list of accepted scores, please see the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
  • Neither AP, IB, nor any other test will exempt a student from taking UW1020 or WID courses. AP/IB/credit can apply toward the General Education Curriculum if the course is equivalent to an approved course.
  • Students may obtain a maximum of 24 hours of credit from AP and/or IB, combined.

Taking Courses at Another Institution

Once a student has matriculated at GW, they may take courses at other institutions (e.g., over the summer), under these guidelines:

  • GW will accept a maximum of 9 transfer credits (or 3 courses to a maximum of 12 credits total) from institutions away from GW, outside of GW Study Abroad.  This includes both U.S. and foreign institutions.  Students studying in their home non-U.S. country are not considered GW Study Abroad. 
  • Post-matriculation courses cannot count towards the General Education Curriculum.
  • Students must submit a Transfer Credit Approval Form, along with a description of the course, to the appropriate GW department for approval (e.g. math, sociology). After receiving departmental approval, students must bring the petition to Phillips 107 for the Advising POD's approval.
  • The Transfer Credit Approval Form is now used for both U.S. and foreign instutions (except for programs within the defined GW Study Abroad category).  Only students in official GW Study Abroad programs will use the Course Approval Transfer System (CATS) for course approvals.  All others will use the Transfer Credit Approval form.
  • Grades of at least “C-” must be earned for credit to be assigned.
  • Students should be aware of residency requirements when considering taking courses elsewhere.
  • Students may take courses at other institutions over the summer without the need to register for Continuous Enrollment, unless in their last term.
  • Credits earned through the Office of Study Abroad are excluded from the 9 transfer credit rule.

To get the Transfer Credit posted: 

  • Students are responsible for having an official transcript of classes attempted over the summer sent directly to the Office of the Registrar.
  • The Office of the Registrar is ultimately responsible for the evaluation and assignment of all transfer credits.
  • Students studying away from GW and not through a GW Study Abroad Program should be directed to the Office of the Registrar's transfer credit page.

Calculating Transfer Credit Hours

Students should be aware that some universities are on a different academic calendar, which may affect the transfer of credits. For example, credit for a course taken at a school which operates on a quarter system will only count for two-thirds of its numerical value when transferred to GW, which operates on a semester system.