Internal Transfers

For students currently in other GW undergraduate schools, looking to transfer into CCAS.

Explore CCAS Majors online

Students are first encouraged to research undergraduate programs available through the University Bulletin

Take Introductory Courses

If there is a specific major of interest, students are encouraged to take the required introductory or prerequisite course(s) to help them decide if a transfer to CCAS is the right decision for them.

Understand G-PAC

Interested students are encouraged to understand the General Education Curriculum and how their credits would be used toward those requirements. More information about this curriculum can be found here.

For students who entered GW prior to the Fall 2015 semester see guidelines below:

  • Other GW school’s general education requirements are not the same as the CCAS general education (G-PAC). 
  • For students who transfer internally to CCAS, any G-PAC-approved course taken at GW during the fall 2011 semester or later, can apply towards G-PAC. 
  • New courses are added to G-PAC each year.  If a student has taken a course prior to when it was approved for G-PAC, it will not count towards G-PAC (this rule applies to all CCAS students). 
  • Once a student has matriculated, all remaining G-PAC courses must done in residence (study abroad is concerned in residence).

For students who entered GW in the Fall 2015 semester and later see guidelines below:

  • All undergraduate students will need to complete the University General Education Requirements.
  • Additionally, students transferring internally will need to complete the Columbian College specific requirements.
  • Coursework taken prior to entering CCAS that are approved University or college specific requirement courses will apply to those requirements accordingly.
  • Once a student has matriculated, all remaining General Education Requirements must be done in residence (study abroad is considered in residence). 

Graduation Requirements

Please refer to the Degree Requirements section of our website. Students are always encouraged to also use DegreeMAP to track graduation requirements. 

Meet with a CCAS Academic Advisor

After doing the necessary research, interested students should meet with who would be their assigned advising POD, should they eventually transfer.  To find the POD breakdown and to book online, students should visit the Appointments page.  During the meeting, students will discuss major/minor interests, a graduation timeline, and G-PAC. Students are NOT encouraged to speak with their Advising POD during Office Hours. 

How can students apply to transfer?

If a student is ready to apply for a transfer, the student should complete the Request for Internal Transfer between GW Schools/Colleges form and turn it into the GW Registrar's Office (located in Colonial Central). Deadlines for internal transfers: For the fall semester: February 15 (for students that have completed transfer prerequisites) or May 31 (for students enrolled in transfer prerequisite courses in the current semester); For the spring semester: October 15. Once processed, transfer are effective at the start of the following semester; transfers are only accepted for Fall or Spring semester. Additional information about the internal transfer process can be found here.

What are the Application Requirements?

Requests to transfer schools will not be accepted prior to the second semester of the student's enrollment at GW.

(Re)declaring Majors/Minors

Once a student is accepted into CCAS any majors/minors previously declared are removed.  Therefore, majors/minors need to be (re)declared, but only after a student is accepted into CCAS.