Students often discover a passion or enhance their preparation for a particular field through internships.  Many students get credit for internships through their majors and others earn elective credit through CCAS 2154. For more information on internship coursework within academic departments, please click here

CCAS 2154 is offered for academic credit (1-3 credits) during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Students may also register for CCAS 2154 during the summer for zero credit hours. Additional information about both options are available below.


Important Information for CCAS 2154 Internship Credit, 

Fall 2020

We recognize that students will engage with the broader DC community as part of their college experience, even during the COVID-19 pandemic.  In response to COVID-19, many organizations (including GW) are changing their operations to prioritize safety. 

GW has developed these student guidelines for internships (paid/unpaid, for credit/non-credit) to assist all students as they consider opportunities during the 2020-21 academic year. These guidelines prioritize safety while still accomplishing learning objectives and professional development goals. 

1. When possible, work remotely.  Students should discuss with their supervisor if a position can be completed remotely for the entire placement period.  Career Services has articles to help students find and make the most of remote positions (PDF). 

2. If a position is in-person, or has the potential to shift from remote to in-person, students should understand if, when, and how in-person responsibilities are fulfilled.  Students should ask their supervisor relevant safety questions before a placement begins, such as: 

a. What are the employer’s safety protocols in response to COVID-19?  Are these protocols similar to those utilized on GW’s campus?  Do these protocols follow updated recommendations from the state/local governments? 

b. How does the employer expect students to protect themselves and others?  What equipment, if any, will the employer provide?  Are students expected to provide their own equipment? 

c. If the student becomes ill, or comes into contact with someone who is ill, what are the employer’s expectations for continued service?

Students who do not feel safe or comfortable with an employer’s responses, or students who feel unsafe at a particular site at any time, should immediately contact their on-site supervisor or the employer’s HR Department. In addition, students should immediately contact their most directly-related GW contact to find a solution.  If a student is pursuing the internship for CCAS 2154 credit, they can email [email protected] and their faculty advisor for assistance. 

3. Stay abreast of GW Campus Advisories for timely updates and comprehensive safety information as well as federal resources such as the CDC COVID-19 website, OSHA COVID-19 guidance (PDF) , and EEOC COVID-19 resources.

Guidelines for employers for remote internships


Information for Faculty and Internship Supervisors

Please utilize the Internship Evaluation Paperwork for Faculty & Supervisors webpage to obtain the required evaluations. Each semester has unique evaluation documents.


Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions page and any additional questions to: [email protected]



Every semester and during the summer, students pair classroom learning with internship experiences to create linkages with real-world problems and issues. Many courses are tied to urban, national and global institutions, through internships and partnerships. Seeing up close the policy making apparatus in Washington offers an irreplaceable opportunity to hone knowledge and witness the construction of expertise in matters at hand, from environmental science and protection, to social policy, bioethics, and historic preservation.

Earning Academic Credit

Academic credit associated with an internship experience may be obtained in a number of ways. Students affiliated with an academic unit may register for an internship class in that unit (ex. A geography student may sign up for GEOG 4199) or outside, if the content of the internship matches more closely to another subject (ex. A history student working with a publishing company may sign up ENGL 4470). Students looking to receive elective credit for an internship, may register for CCAS 2154. Additionally, the Center for Career Services offers an online Internship Experience and Reflection class, UNIV 2001. In each case, academic work is assigned in addition to time spent at the internship, so that students actively integrate the experience into their GW learning.

Consult the chart below for a quick guide to courses that may be utilized for an internship. Contact the respective department to learn more about what coursework is expected and how to obtain permission to register.

Field of Study Internship or related course
American Studies AMST 4450
Anthropology ANTH 3833/34
Archaeology ANTH 3833/34
Art History AH 4199
Biological Anthropology ANTH 3833/34
Biological Sciences BISC 4171, 4172
Biophysics PHYS 2192, 4195/96/97
Chemistry CHEM 4195
Communication COMM 4197
Criminal Justice SOC 4192
Dance TRDA 4598
English ENGL 4470
Environmental Studies GEOG 4199
Fine Arts FA 4199
French FREN 4800
Geography GEOG 4199
Geological Sciences GEOL 4199
History HIST 3095
Human Services and Social Justice HSSJ 4133
Journalism and Mass Communication SMPA 3197
Mathematics MATH 4995
Music MUS 4199
Organizational Sciences ORSC 4195
Peace Studies PSTD 3999
Philosophy PHIL 4199
Physics PHYS 2192, 4195/96/97
Political Communication SMPA 3197
Political Science PSC 2987
Psychology PSYC 3592
Religion REL 3999
Sociology SOC 3195
Spanish SPAN 4800
Statistics STAT 4195
Theatre TRDA 4598
Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies WGSS 4183