Academic Standing

Dean’s List

Undergraduate students who, in any one semester, earn 12 credits or more and attain a minimum semester grade point average of 3.75 in letter-graded course work, pass all non-graded credit courses, and do not have any Unauthorized Withdrawals (Z) or Incompletes (I), are placed on the Dean’s List for that semester.


Requirements while on Probation: Students on academic probation will be required to meet with the Academic Advising Office at certain points throughout the semester so that we know students are holding themselves accountable for their progress, and so we can discuss strategies that most resonate with who students are and how they learn. Students will be required to complete different assignments during the course of the semester to reflect on previous semesters, gain perspective on how they are using their time, and track academic progress. If you are a student on Academic Probation, please review program requirements: 

Fall 2017 Academic Success Program


Understanding Your Options During an Academic Suspension:

Suspension means that you must remain away from GW for at least one academic semester (fall or spring). You can not register for any classes at GW during that semester away.

  1. Seeking readmission to GW.- To return to GW, you need to show evidence of successful academic performance at an accredited community college or 4-year institution during your time away. Here are the steps you need to take: 

    • Enter another accredited community college or 4-year institution as a non-degree, visiting, or guest student.

    • Register for and successfully complete at least 12 credits of academic coursework in one semester (fall or spring).

    • Earn at least a 3.0 semester GPA.

    • Fill out the GW Readmission Application . Please keep in mind that there is a deadline to complete the Readmission Application and it is not guaranteed that your application will be approved should you meet the minimum criteria.

    • Once grades are posted on a transcript, send the transcript to GW Office of Admissions.

    • Wait to receive an email from GW Office of Admissions, alerting you about your readmissions status.

  2. Withdrawal after the Deadline - If you think there were extenuating circumstances occurring after the withdrawal deadline that caused you to do poorly in the semester that resulted in your suspension (e.g., medical issues, family emergency), you can move forward with a request for a full or partial withdrawal from that semester. Please click here for more information about that process. 

    • Note: If you complete this process and your request is approved for a full or partial withdrawal, then you may no longer have a suspension status. Depending on the circumstances, you may be required to obtain approval from the University before you can return to classes. If your request is not approved, you will need to follow the steps in #1 above in order to return.

  3. Appeal - If you believe that the University should consider additional information determining your academic standing.  

1) Students can appeal their academic suspension decision. Students will remain in suspension status through the duration of the appeal process. All appeals for Fall 2017 must be received no later than Tuesday, August 1, 2017.

2) Students interested in appealing their suspension should include a statement describing extenuating circumstances that have caused the poor academic performance and a detailed description of the steps taken to mitigate those factors.

3) All appeals must be submitted in writing, directed to the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Elizabeth Chacko, and emailed to her Senior Administrative Assistant, Candace Gnahoui at

4) Where applicable, documentation from medical or counseling professionals should be included in support of the appeal.

5) If the appeal is successful, the student will be placed on academic probation and limited to 13 credits during the upcoming semester.  The student will also need to complete the requirements of students on probation. 

6) If the appeal is denied, the suspension notation will remain on the transcript.