Academic Success Program FAQs

About Probation and Academic Standing
Getting off Probation Status
Resources and Support

About Probation and Academic Standing

Why am I on academic probation?
Undergraduate students are placed on academic probation if at the end of any semester their GPA for that semester or their cumulative GPA is below 2.0. A 2.0 GPA is required for graduation; therefore, it is important to work towards maintaining this requirement throughout your academic career. Academic probation provides the opportunity to work with the Academic Success Program, which pairs students with coaches who will help them work toward good academic standing. Coaches help students to reflect on their unique circumstances and experiences and how they may have impacted their academic standing. From there, coaches help students to create an individualized plan for success, focusing on areas such as personal well-being, time management, study skills and course choice.


What can I do to return to good academic standing?
A student will be returned to good academic standing when both their semester and cumulative GPAs are at or above 2.0. There are many actions and strategies that students can utilize to work towards a return to good standing. First, working closely with the Academic Success Program team and fulfilling program requirements is an opportunity to develop new skills that will help set students up for success. Additional strategies include knowing and using your campus resources, asking for help and support from others attending regular POD advising, communicating often with instructors, making friends in your courses for extra academic support, completing all assignments, attending and participating in classes and working on time management.

CCAS Academic Standing

Why am I limited to 13 credit hours while on probation?
Without exception, students on probation are limited to 13 credit hours in order to promote academic success. Carrying this lighter load allows students more time to devote to each course with the goal of allowing them to achieve an overall higher semester GPA.


What is the difference between Financial Aid Warning/Denial and Academic Probation?
A student is placed on Financial Aid Warning/Denial if they are not making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), as defined by the federal government. Academic probation means a student has not met the minimum GPA requirements to be in good academic standing, as defined by the university regulations. The terms under which a student makes SAP and the terms under which a student’s standing is changed may differ. Visit the Office of Student Financial Assistance for details on SAP.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Getting off Probation Status

I took a summer course and now my cumulative GPA is above a 2.0. Can I get off of probation now? 
We evaluate academic standing at the end of the fall and spring semesters only, so you will remain on probation for the fall. If after your fall grades post, your semester GPA and cumulative GPA are both above a 2.0, you will return to good academic standing.

CCAS Requirements to Return to Good Standing

I had a grade change and now my cumulative and semester GPAs are over 2.0. Can I get off of probation now?
If both of your cumulative and semester GPAs are over 2.0, you are eligible to return to good academic standing. Please email [email protected] with your full name and GWID and we'll evaluate your standing.

Resources and Support

What tutoring support is available to me through GW?
The Academic Commons, a central hub for all student support resources, offers free peer tutoring and review sessions for both STEM and non-STEM classes. You can book tutoring appointments online, with tutors listed by subject and specific class. Beyond tutoring, the Academic Commons offers many other resources for learning and classroom support.

More Advising Resources

How can I talk with a family member/professor/peer about academic probation?
Communicating with others regarding academic standing and probation can be difficult. Here are a few tips to go through the process:

  • Have a plan. It is always easier to talk with others about being on probation when you have a plan for returning to good academic standing. Work with your ASP coach and POD advisors to formulate a plan, so that you have an idea of what your next steps will look like when you have these conversations. The Academic Success Team is happy to meet with you and support you in taking these steps.
  • Focus on the opportunity. You can emphasize that participation in the Academic Success Program, as well as the 12-13 hour credit limit, are opportunities to receive greater support, develop strategies for success and work towards a return to good academic standing.
  • Connect with your resources. The Academic Success Program and the CCAS Advising Office and are two significant resources for you during a semester on probation. You may have a lot of questions for which you do not have the answers. ASP coaches and POD Advisors can provide answers, support and connection to other offices and resources on campus as needed.
  • Is there a FERPA on file? We always encourage students to take the primary responsibility for their own education. However, should a family member want to reach out to University staff or administrators, including the Academic Success Team, a FERPA waiver must be on file. To protect students’ rights, administrators and staff at the University cannot speak with a family member about a student’s educational record unless a student has completed a FERPA waiver for that individual. If there is not a FERPA waiver on file, your family member does not have access to communicate with CCAS Advising regarding your academic record.