Registering for Classes

Recommended courses to take

It is recommended you take a combination of these your first semester as a new transfer student:

  1. Courses that satisfy a G-PAC requirement.
  2. Courses that satisfy a major or minor requirement.
  3. Courses that count as elective credits toward your total 120 credits needed for graduation.

If you think you might be interested in a certain major, choose to take some of the pre-requisite courses for that major.  Or, if you already have some transfer credit that fulfills pre-requisites, you can take the next level course(s).  Only register for courses in the 1000-4000 level range.  Introductory courses are often at the 1000 level.  2000-4000 are considered upper-level courses and often have pre-requisites. Do not register for any graduate level courses which are 6000 and above.

Do not take any course you’ve already taken at your previous institution(s) as you cannot count credit for the same course twice; this includes AP credit.

How do I see what is offered this current semester?

Visit the Schedule of Classes. Log in with your net ID and password.  The University Bulletin is a useful source to have open while searching in the Schedule of Classes as it provides detailed course descriptions.

Where do I add/drop courses?

To learn how to register, visit the Registrar's website. Then log into the Gweb information system: with your Gwid and password to add/drop courses online.  Be mindful of the registration schedule which lists the last day to add/drop online, the last day to drop without a "W" on your transcript, and the last day to withdraw from a course with a "W".

How many credits should I take?

Most students register for around 15 hours per semester (5 courses at 3 credits each) to ensure they are on track towards reaching 120 hours needed for graduation.  A full-time course load is 12 - 18 credits.  If a student registers for over 17 hours, they will be billed per credit hour above the flat tuition rate.  If a student registers for less than 12 hours, they are considered a part-time student which can affect housing, financial aid, scholarships, insurance, and the projected graduation date.

Other registration tips

  • "Linked" tells you there is a discussion, lab, or recitation linked to the course that you must also add to your schedule.
  • Up to 3 credits/1 course of LSPA (Lifestyle, Sport, Physical Activity), taken for a letter grade starting in Fall 2020, may count toward the 120 credits needed for graduation. Students must earn a passing grade of D- or higher in the LSPA course for it to count toward graduation requirements.
  • To get signed into a course or to add/drop after the online period, you will need forms found on the GW Registrar's website.
  • Allow for 30 minutes of travel time between courses taught at Mount Vernon (MV) and Foggy Bottom.
  • If you're not able to get into a course you want this semester, you will likely be able to take it another time.  Be flexible and work with the courses that are open.

Foreign language and math placement exams

Students who are continuing to study a language must take a language placement evaluation prior to registration. Go to the departmental website which houses the language you want to take to find placement exam information.  The math placement test is a tool to help you find the math course most appropriate for your level of preparation.