Below is a list of policies/procedures/resources for working with undergraduate students. 

Incomplete Grades (I)

Incomplete grades may be given to undergraduate students only if for reasons beyond the student's control (such as medical or family emergency) s/he is unable to complete the final work of the course. Faculty should not assign an Incomplete grade if not asked by the student. 

The student should request the Incomplete grade and the instructor should be informed about and approve the request before the date when grades must be reported. A contract must be signed by the instructor and the student and filed in the department office. A copy should be submitted to the Academic Advising office in Phillips 107. A student has a calendar year to finish the coursework for the class, and when completed a grade change form must be submitted to the Academic Advising office to update the grade.

An Incomplete grade should not be given if the following are true:

  • The student has not kept up with the class (stuggled most if not all the semester) and has the majority of the coursework remaining for the class
  • The student is not passing the course at the time the Incomplete grade contract is discussed - meaning their work prior to the discussion has been unsatisfactory in terms of coursework completed and attendance
  • The student does not have adqauate reasons/documentation for asking for an Incomplete
  • The student would essentially need to re-take the course - students cannot "sit in" on the course in a future term
  • If the faculty for the course will not be able to see the student through the remaining coursework or a representative from the department is willing to oversee the work

If you have questions regarding whether an Incomplete grade is appropriate for a student, please contact your CCAS Advising liaison. 

Grades and Courses

Unauthorized Withdrawal —The symbol of Z is assigned when students are registered for a course that they have not attended or have attended only briefly, and in which they have done no graded work. At the end of the academic year, students’ records are reviewed; if there is more than one Z per semester, a student’s record will be encumbered until released by the student’s advising office. The symbol of Z is not a grade but an administrative notation.

Repeating Courses for Credit—For courses that do not specifically state that repetition for credit is permitted, a student may, with permission of the instructor teaching the repeated course, repeat for credit a course in which a grade of B- (2.75). Credit for the repeated course will not count toward degree requirements; the grade earned in the repeated course will, however, be included in the student’s cumulative grade-point average.


Add - Students may add courses online via GWeb through the end of the second week of classes. Students may add courses via an RTF-EZ form through the Registrar's office and with permission of the instructor through the end of the fourth week of classes.

Drop - Students may drop courses online via GWeb through the end of the fourth week of classes.

Withdraw - Students may withdraw from courses online via GWeb from the fourth week through the end of the eighth week of classes.

Leaving a course after the eighth week - Students with extenuating circumstances may petition to withdraw from a course after the deadline through the exception process as explained on the Registrar's website