Pass/No Pass Request Form

Spring 2020

For the Spring 2020 semester, CCAS has adjusted the option for most undergraduate courses to be taken pass/no pass. What this means is that CCAS students will have the option to take each of their undergraduate courses pass/no pass for this semester only. 

Students who still wish to complete these courses for a letter grade may continue to do so. For many students, receiving a grade is important for future plans including medical or dental school, law school, graduate school, athletic or visa status, or other career opportunities. Additionally, students are encouraged to finish courses in a timely fashion so you stay on schedule to graduate.

We encourage you to consult with CCAS academic advisors if you wish to use the pass/no pass option in any of your classes. We have also created a "Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)" document you can access. This decision should be made after consultation and consideration of your options. Please note that this decision does not need to be made immediately.

General Guidelines

All CCAS students may request a switch in their pass/fail status in a course up until five days after grades have posted in Banner.

  • Students of any academic standing may take as many courses as they wish pass/no pass for this semester only, and this number will not count against the usual number of pass/fail courses you are allowed.
  • General education courses may be taken pass/no pass.
  • Major and minor courses may be taken pass/no pass.
  • A pass will suffice in courses that are prerequisites for another course.
  • Students should check to make sure that they are receiving grades in courses that are required for medical or dental school, law school, graduate school, veteran’s benefits, athletic or visa status, etc. Please consult your pre-health, pre-law, athletic, Yellow Ribbon, specialized scholarships, or ISO advisor about such requirements.
  • A pass will count to satisfy a minimum grade when a course has a minimum grade to move on to a higher-level course or to avoid repeating the class (UW1020).
  • Determinations of probation and/or suspension will be held in abeyance this semester and will not be affected by the choice of taking a course pass/no pass
  • A D- and above is considered a pass

If you'd like to request that a course be switched to P/NP, please complete the form below and email it to [email protected] from your GW email address with the subject line "Spring 2020 P/NP Request" no later than five days after final grades have posted.

Due to the high volume of forms being submitted to the Registrar’s Office, there may be a delay with processing your Pass/No Pass form.  Please be patient.  All submitted forms will be processed. 


Please note: you may be required to download Adobe Acrobat to complete the form. Please download Adobe Acrobat in order to sign the form. If you have any questions or need technical assistance, please contact the CCAS Office of Technology Services at [email protected] or by calling (202) 994-8096.