Transfer Credit

Transferring in academic credit

To transfer in academic credit, request an official copy of your academic transcript(s) (with final grades from the most recent semester) from your previous institution(s) to be sent to GW's Registrar's Office, who will then issue a Transfer Credit Worksheet at the time of admission.

How transfer credit is calculated

Credits earned by taking classes at other colleges or universities, or through recognized tests such as A.P., and are accepted for credit by GW, are known as transfer credits.  Here are some general guidelines for how credit is calculated:

  • The University Registrar's Office is ultimately responsible for the evaluation and assignment of all transfer credit.
  • Some universities are on a different academic calendar, which may affect the transfer of credits. 
  • Grades of a C- or better must be earned for the credit to transfer.  
  • Math courses below calculus (i.e., algebra, geometry, pre-calculus) will not transfer.
  • The GPA and grades do not transfer; accepted credit will be transferred with a notation of "TR".
  • If you took a course elsewhere that does not have a specific GW equivalent, the course will likely be listed as 1099.  To see if any of your 1099 courses can be re-named as GW equivalents, please contact your Advising POD.

Can transfer credit apply towards my major?

Transfer credit can apply whenever possible towards a student's major (and minor).  However, transfer students must keep in mind that at least 30 credit hours of upper-level coursework, 12 credit hours of course work within the major, and at 6 credit hours for a minor, must be completed at or through GW..

Can transfer credit apply towards G-PAC?

Pre-matriculation transfer credit and AP/IB credit may apply toward G-PAC if the course is equivalent to an approved G-PAC course.

Is there a limit to how many credits can be transferred in?

There is no limit on how many transfer credits can be brought in pre-matriculation, however in order to meet residency requirements, you must earn 60 hours at or through GW. 

Taking courses at another institution (e.g., over the summer)

Once a student has matriculated at GW, no more than 9 additional transfer credits will be accepted.  Transfer students should always speak with their Advising POD prior to taking any courses outside of GW.