General Information

Students have the option of declaring up to two minors, but are not required to do so. Not all Columbian College departments offer undergraduate minors; the requirements prescribed by departments that do are listed in the Bulletin. To declare a minor, students must complete the Declaration of Major/Minor Form, have it signed by a faculty member in the department of the chosen major, and submit it to Phillips 107.

At least one-half of the course work required for a minor must be taken at GW. Students must earn grades of at least “C-” in all upper-level courses for the minor, including any courses transferred from other institutions. Courses passed with a grade below “C-” may be used to fulfill a curricular requirement in the minor, but will not be counted toward the total number of credit hours required for the minor.

Courses may fulfill requirements for both a major and a minor.  However some minors have restrictions on the number of courses that can double-count between the major and minor, and some minors are not allowed depending on the student's major (i.e., a student cannot minor in Criminal Justice with a Sociology major, and vice versa).  Students should speak with their departmental and professional advisors for restrictions.

Minors Outside the Columbian College

To declare a minor outside of CCAS, students must complete the Declaration of Major/Minor Form, or the Minor form of that applicable school.  The form needs the approval/signature of the school which houses the minor, and then should be handed into Phillips Hall 107 for processing.

Minors Outside CCAS:

Professional Credit

For students entering this Fall 2015 semester, students are limited to 3 credit hours in Health and Wellness credits. Students can take more than 3 credit hours, but anymore over the 3 credit hour maximum will be subtracted from the overall number of earned hours and will not apply towards graduation.