Probation Requirements

Updated for Fall 2019

Students on academic probation should complete all requirements as listed below as part of the Academic Success Program:

1. Schedule an appointment with an advisor from your POD (over the phone or in-person) prior to or during the first week of the semester.  To schedule, use the POD online calendars.  All POD appointments take place in Phillips 107.


2. Attend an Academic Success Workshop during the first two weeks of class.  Register for the workshop online here. Note: Registration for the workshops will open the week before the semester begins. Upon registration, you will receive a confirmation email with the location of your workshop.


3. Attend ongoing individual appointments with an Academic Success Coach.  Schedule on our Academic Success Coaching Calendar. All coaching appointments take place in Phillips 107.


4. Follow a personalized Academic Success Plan to be developed at your first individual meeting. You will be expected to complete assignments from your Academic Success Coach in the time frame set forth.


5. Submit a Mid-Semester Report to be signed by each of your professors to the Academic Success Coaching team by the end of the 8th week of classes: Friday, October 18th for the Fall 2019 semester.  You may bring the report to an appointment prior to the deadline or submit it to the front desk of Phillips 107.  


6. Attend at least one campus workshop of your choice approved by a CCAS Academic Success Coach. Complete the Workshop Tracking Form  with facilitator signature and turn it into Phillips 107 to receive credit for this requirement. You can find a list of available workshops through searching on the Academic Commons.




All students on academic probation will receive a Registration Hold to temporarily prevent course registration.  To get this hold lifted, see your POD with a completed Registration Hold Agreement.  You may print the form, complete it, and bring it with you when you see your POD.  Or you may complete the form in the Advising Office.  If you plan to complete in the Advising Office, be sure to come with your list of the classes for which you plan to register for the following semester.  


If you have any questions about these requirements, please email [email protected].  You may also schedule an appointment with an Academic Success Coach at any time by visiting the Academic Success Coaching online calendar.  

Frequently Asked Questions

Q- What is the difference between Financial Aid Warning/Probation and Academic Probation?


A- A student is placed on Financial Aid Warning/Probation if he/she is not making Satisfactory Academic Progress, as defined by the federal government.  Academic Probation means a student has not met the minimum GPA requirements to be in good academic standing, as defined by the University Regulations.  The terms under which a student makes Satisfactory Academic Progress and the terms under which a student stays in good academic standing differ.  To understand the differences and consequences, please refer to the following:  Satisfactory Academic Progress (Financial Aid Office) 


Q- Why am I limited to 13 credit hours while on probation?

A- Without exception, students on probation are limited to 13 credit hours in order to promote academic success.  Carrying this lighter load allows students more time to devote to each course with the goal of allowing them to achieve an overall higher semester GPA.

Q- I took a summer course and now my cumulative GPA is above a 2.0.  Can I get off of probation now? 

A- We evaluate Academic Standing at the end of the Fall and Spring semesters only, so you will remain on Probation for the Fall.  If after your Fall grades post, your semester and cumulative GPA are both above a 2.0, you will return to good academic standing.

Q- I had a grade change and now my cumulative and semester GPAs are over 2.0.  Can I get off of probation now?

A- If both of your cumulative and semester GPAs are over 2.0, you are eligible to return to good academic standing.  Please email [email protected] with your full name and GWID and we'll evaluate your standing.  

Q- What tutoring support is available to me through GW?

A- We have support mechanism in place that we hope you'll utilize.  If you would like face-to-face tutoring, STEMworks provides free peer-to-peer learning services.  While they specialize in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, & mathematics), they also provide support for non-STEM classes.  You can find group study sessions or complete the online request form through their website by clicking on Peer Tutoring.  Beyond tutoring, you can find any resource you might need at GW through the Academic Commons - a central hub for all student support resources, found here